Thank you Visit - PNWA

Go to content

Main menu:

Thank you Visit

NPAS > ASU Articles

Lancashire Air Support Unit

Articles of Interest

Thank you Visit from Kurt Foster

Man thanks police officers for saving his life

A man who was seriously injured in a road traffic collision, visited the Air Support Unit yesterday (12 May) to thank the officers for helping to save his life.

Kurt Foster, 19, of Coal Clough Lane in Burnley was involved in a collision with a tree on Bacup Road in Cliviger as he was riding his motorcycle on 10 October last year.

The air ambulance was unavailable so the police helicopter attended the scene of the accident and took him to Royal Blackburn Hospital .

He spent over five months in hospital being treated for a broken left leg, serious head trauma and liver injuries before being discharged on 25 March. He was unconscious for nearly eight weeks following the accident.

Mr Foster said: “I remember events that lead up to the day of the crash but that is all – I do not remember the crash nor the events following it.

“I would like to thank the members of the public whom I have been told assisted me at the scene, the paramedics and all other medical staff who tended to me and the police officers who dealt with the incident. Finally a really big thank you to the Air Support Unit for getting me airlifted to the hospital safely and quickly – I am indebted to them as I feel they have saved my life.”

He met Captain Paul Manklow and PC Richard Stanier who were on duty in the helicopter at the time of the collision and transferred him to hospital. He also toured the unit, which is based at BAE Systems in Warton, and got the chance to have a look inside the helicopter.

Air Support Unit Insp Anne White added: “Our helicopter dispatches to a range of critical incidents. It can get to any area in Lancashire quickly, providing vital assistance in an emergency.

“In exceptional circumstances we will help to take people to hospital, which is what happened in this instance.

“We are pleased that Kurt has now made a full recovery and that we were able to provide vital assistance to him on the evening of the accident.”

Back to content | Back to main menu